Chop Wood Carry Water Plant Seeds is a blog about Self-Sufficient Homesteading. How can we live by creating a sustainable bio-diverse world, instead of by consuming and destroying the only one we have? What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Sunday, June 29, 2014

New farm member - Old Danish Leghorn Cockerel

I have 6 Old Danish Leghorn chicken but had no male for them. Now, thanks to facebook, I have found a lady who had one extra male, whom I've got for free :) I love local folk! The hens seem very calm around him and since he is 3 years old he sure knows how to give them space and make them feel secure around him. I was at first worried that he might attack the 2 young chicks since they are not his but he doesn't seem to have issues with them. I wish him all the best on our farm and may he have many offspring of this Old Dansih Leghorn race :) His previous owner told me that it takes 14 days for the hens to use up all the sperm from the previous Cock. So I will wait at least 15 days before starting to collect their eggs for the incubator.

No comments:

Post a Comment