Chop Wood Carry Water Plant Seeds is a blog about Self-Sufficient Homesteading. How can we live by creating a sustainable bio-diverse world, instead of by consuming and destroying the only one we have? What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Collecting materials for composting

I have two large patches of Jerusalem Artichokes which are withering. I have cut them down with scythe
I ran the stalks thorough the garden shredder before placing onto the compost pile to speed up decomposition. I have coppiced many small Alder trees and now they are sending out new shots. Alder is a very good at fixing Nitrogen so I will make sure to cut them all down together with leaves and run them through the shredder. I have need for lots of compost soil and I better make that happen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment